Stable Sustainable Solutions
As a municipal leader, your duty is to protect your residents wellbeing while continuing to uphold the highest ethical standards. At BFL CANADA, we understand that municipalities operate in a unique way and have specific needs. Our team of professionals takes an innovative approach to craft a municipal risk and insurance program that addresses your community’s individual operations and exposures. Our municipal program combines insurance policies with targeted risk management and loss control initiatives to proactively manage current exposures, assist in planning future municipal projects and improve your overall risk profile.
We truly believe in working closely with you and establishing a strong partnership to serve the best interest of your municipality.
Discover your coverage solutions
BFL CANADA’s commitment to Canadian municipalities is to build stable and sustainable insurance and risk management solutions for today’s exposures and tomorrow’s risk.
We offer an array of creative and competitive insurance solutions, such as:
Covers all buildings, content, computers, works of art, important files, urban furniture and equipment, contractors’ equipment, etc., belonging to a municipality.
MACHINERY BREAKDOWN INSURANCE
Covers any damage resulting from a disaster caused by machinery in municipal buildings, including certain types of heating, ice cooling systems in arenas, etc.
CRIME INSURANCE (also known as employee loyalty or dishonesty or embezzlement, disappearance and destruction)
Covers the theft of money or monetary values on or off the premises or monetary losses resulting from an employee’s dishonest act. It is also possible to subscribe to coverage protecting municipalities against social engineering fraud.
PRIMARY AND EXCESS GENERAL LIABILITY INSURANCE
Covers the municipality’s civil liability arising from its normal operations and from which results in an injury, prejudice or damage to a third party.
MUNICIPAL LIABILITY INSURANCE OR MUNICIPAL OFFICERS’ LIABILITY
Covers the liability of the municipality, for alleged pecuniary damage suffered by a third party resulting from a good or bad decision or from the absence of a decision taken by the municipality. This applies, among other things, to decisions concerning zoning, the issuance of permits, etc. This is a coverage specific to a municipality.
Covers all vehicles owned by the municipality or leased by it on a short or long term basis.
MUNICIPAL INSURANCE PROGRAM
Our comprehensive Municipal Insurance Program includes but is not limited to, the following coverages:
- Commercial General Liability
- Public Officials Errors and Omissions
- Environmental Impairment Liability
- Legal Expense
- Equipment Breakdown
- Municipal Officials Accident, Critical Illness and Out of Province Medical
- Volunteer Accident Facility Users Program
- Special Event Program
Provides risk and insurance solutions to Canadian municipalities. We work with our municipal partners to create risk programs addressing their unique operations and exposures. Our risk program combines insurance policies with targeted risk management/loss control initiatives to proactively manage current exposures, assist in planning for future municipal projects and improve the municipality’s overall risk profile such as:
- Quarterly webinars
- Staff and Council training sessions / workshops / mock trials
- Annual Professional Development and Risk Management Conference
- Contract review
- Procurement, third party vendors and construction projects
- Driver training
- Bulletins providing updates on issues of the day, emerging risks and best risk and claims management practices
- Connecting municipalities with their peers via working groups, creating a forum for discussion, collaboration and presentations from specialists (HR experts, forensic accountants, legal counsel, artificial intelligence engineers, leadership coaches) etc.
Unique to BFL CANADA, our dedicated claims manager is embedded within our Public Sector Team. Our pro-active approach to claims ensures we are able to successfully advocate for our municipal clients with losses managed in an open and transparent manner. Our claims service offering is tailored to your individual needs and can include:
- Quarterly loss runs;
- Claims meetings including your municipal team, BFL CANADA, your adjuster and insurers, as required.
PROPERTY AND CASUALTY INSURANCE PROGRAM FOR NON-PROFIT ORGANIZATIONS (P&O)
Provides non-profit organizations (NPOs) with insurance coverage to protect them against damage to their property and the consequences of the actions of their representatives. Through its insurance brokerage services, BFL CANADA also offers directors, officers, staff and volunteers insurance policies that protect them from potential consequences.
- Property insurance: a comprehensive (all risks) policy that covers most of the property owned, leased, or for which the organization is responsible against, among other things, fire, theft, vandalism, water, etc.
- General liability insurance: protects the insured against pecuniary damage resulting from bodily injury and/or material damage suffered by a third party and for which the insured would be held liable.
- Directors’ and Officers’ Insurance: protects directors and officers and the organization’s staff and volunteers who may have to pay compensation to a third party for loss resulting from acts prejudicial to the performance of their duties.
- Accident insurance for unpaid and volunteer directors: protects unpaid and volunteer directors while they are performing their duties with an NPO regardless of the organization’s fault.
- Fidelity, Disappearance and Destruction Insurance: covers theft, but excludes money, valuables and theft committed by employees or volunteers. This policy complements property insurance and is optional if the organization has a need for these types of risks.
- Equipment Breakdown Insurance: insures equipment excluded by property insurance. It covers the financial consequences of claims resulting from an “accident” to pressurize mechanical or electrical equipment.
INSURANCE PROGRAM FOR ROLLING STOCK, BMX TRACKS AND PUMPING TRACK
Offers municipalities, members and non-members of the Union des municipalités du Québec, a public liability insurance program for their rolling roadways, BMX fleets and pumping tracks.
CYBER INSURANCE PROGRAM
Protects your municipality from any cyber attack or computer intrusion to which it may fall victim. Our insurance policy also covers financial losses related to a business interruption, possible extortion costs or other costs related to these attacks.
ENVIRONMENTAL LIABILITY INSURANCE PROGRAM FOR ENVIRONMENTAL DAMAGE
Covers against consequences that could be harmful to the environment, particularly following an accident and/or gradual as a result of your municipal activities. This coverage includes the municipality’s activities such as:
- Tanks for petroleum products and chemicals;
- Operation and management of filtration plants;
- Wastewater treatment plant and treatment;
- Sanitary and storm sewers;
- Risk of water contamination;
- Municipal landfills – recycling;
- Use of chemicals (chlorine for swimming pools and filtration plants);
- Salt storage.
Representatives available across Canada
The BFL CANADA advantage in a competitive market
BFL CANADA has achieved extraordinary growth because of our consistent ability to perform and deliver due to our expertise, professionalism and dedication, as well as our entrepreneurial culture. This culture and work ethic have driven our growth and attracted organizations with which we have established meaningful and mutually beneficial partnerships.
WHY DOING BUSINESS WITH BFL CANADA IS IN YOUR BEST INTEREST?
We are insurance brokers, we don’t work for an insurance company.
- We negotiate on your behalf to get the best protection, rate and deductibles.
- We work with you to develop tailor-made solutions adapted to your reality.
- We deal with all major insurers that specialize in your industry.
- We have offices across Canada to meet your local needs and partners in over 140 countries for your global ambitions.
- We are solution seekers for companies of all sizes and every industry.
At BFL CANADA, we help our clients get peace of mind. Most insurance policies require various insurance companies to share the risk. As your insurance broker, we are able to canvass the insurance marketplace, approach financially sound insurers and always act in your best interest.